Sunday, November 2, 2008

Tribute to local growers

On a good Sunday morning, you can find me at the farmers market, buying yummy fruits and vegies and occasionally treating myself to some sumptuous baked goodness or a jar of fresh-made preserves. Mmmm....



I was listening to All Things Considered the other day, and they were interviewing a couple who runs an organic farm in Missouri. They have 4 acres, where they grow organic vegetables, and they bring those to farmers markets to sell to folks like me.

But this couple is barely breaking even. In fact, they're not breaking even. They're still in debt from purchasing the farm. They have no health insurance. Their two children get health insurance through Medicaid. They're renovating an old mobile home to live in.


Perhaps they've made poor business decisions. Perhaps they're not cut out to be farmers. But, whatever the reason for their current struggles, my heart went out to them. I thought about them today as I walked around the market and shelled out money (disclosure: it was the babe's money today) for produce that makes me feel healthy and good about the food that I put in my mouth.


I hope they've made enough money this weekend to cover their costs. I hope they're going to dine on a delicious meal this evening. And I hope the people who bought food from them were thankful that there are farmers out there committed to growing healthy, organic food for all of us to enjoy.


Hope you enjoyed the photos from today's market trip.

3 comments:

LP Sutton said...

I like farmer's markets, really, I do. But my hand job story would have made a much more exciting entry.

BA said...

Gorgeous! I like your photo essay...I hope you found something delicious to make with those goodies, too.

(In)Sanity Gal said...

Unfortunately, I was a little stingy with my purchasing yesterday. But I am enjoying a DELICIOUS honeycrisp apple. And this week I'll be making yummy, yummy roasted brussel sprouts. Hurrah!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Template by suckmylolly.com