Friday, May 21, 2010

"Detox": Day One

In the last month, I have gotten into bed several nights and realized that the only water I consumed that day had been infused with coffee grounds.  I've basically been living on caffeine, sugar, cheese, and alcohol.  I've been feeling gross and sluggish...and cranky.  So I decided that I needed to gently but firmly pull my hand out of the Lucky Charms box and pry my fingers from my coffee mug to get myself back into some good healthy eating.

I wanted a little kick-start - I think in part to accentuate the end of the law school life and the beginning of the not-law school life, whatever that may be.  I started by browsing the web for "detox diets," but I had a really hard time finding one that was focused on health and not on weight loss.  After struggling with an eating disorder for many years, juice fasts and super calorie restriction plans just don't work for me.  So I was delighted to land on a recent (never home) maker post where she made reference to a detox diet that she did earlier in the year.  She based her gentle plan loosely on Gwyneth Paltrow's, but with more food - which sounded just right for me!

Using Ashley's and Gwyneth's diets, I created a plan for my own 7-day "detox."  The major goal for me is just to reintroduce my body to healthy eating and get rid of some of the junkier stuff that I've been feeding myself.  So, first things first:  More. Water.  I'm trying for the old standard eight glasses per day.  Second, more fruit and vegetables.  I'm making yummy smoothies for breakfast in the morning (and I'm including the recipe for the first one below), and incorporating more salads and fruits and veggies as snacks.  Finally, I'm cutting out some of my....less healthy habits.  That means no alcohol, no sugar, no dairy* (except yogurt), no processed foods - including processed grains, and no caffeine (yikes!).  Because I'm being very gentle about this, I am going to use natural sweeteners like agave nectar, honey, and maple syrup sparingly.

Those who do real detoxes would likely scoff at mine, but I'm pretty excited about it.  After feeling blah for the last few weeks, I'm looking forward to getting back to a happier, healthier me.  Starting with some really good food.  Add yoga, sleep, crocheting, and novels - I should be as good as new in no time at all.


I loved the smoothie this morning - perfect for summer.  The oatmeal in the recipe threw me off at first, but it turned out really great.  I just made the oatmeal last night and then threw it in from the fridge this morning.  It would also be a nice substitute for bananas in a smoothie if bananas don't work for you.



Strawberry Smoothie
From Moosewood Restaurant Cooking for Health

2 cups chopped strawberries (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup cooked oatmeal
1 cup almond milk (I used unsweetened soy milk because it had fewer additives)
1 tablespoon sweetener (It's optional - I used agave nectar but probably could've done without)

Blend all ingredients until smooth.
Makes 2 servings.
Enjoy.

*I don't actually think that dairy is unhealthy - just that it's a good thing to cut out every now and then for a little system cleanse.  

2 comments:

LP Sutton said...

You're going off coffee just as you begin studying for the bar? Are you nuts?

(In)Sanity Gal said...

You're right Virgin - it's a little risky. But I don't start my bar class until next Wednesday - June 2. So I'll be off the detox by then, and while I'm going to try to limit the caffeine, I won't be totally off of it either. I recognize that coffee is likely a must during the bar studying. Have you already started?

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Template by suckmylolly.com